My Walk.

Twenty-one years of military service allowed me to see and experience many things. To live in many unique and beautiful places and to enjoy many different cultures. Even with all that there was a part of me missing, a part I searched for, that I tried to fill, not always in the best way or with the right thing. It took me many years and often an unpleasant journey to eventually find what had been missing, I needed a personal relationship with God. By bringing Jesus into my life I found what I had been missing.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

That verse says it all in my case. If you had known me before and now seen me you would agree. So this Blog is going to be a piece of my journey, I will rant, rave, confess, share hope, question and, I also hope testify "The Good News". So I invite you to drop by and see how my Journey through this wilderness is progressing. God Bless each and everyone of you.

~ Kent

Monday, February 20, 2012

Reading the Fine Print.



 When we read in the New Testament that Jesus is called Lord we equate that with his Divinity. We think of "Lord" as a synonym for "God". But in the New Testament when followers refer to Jesus as Lord. The word they were using wasn't Yahweh. Instead the word that is translated as Lord in the New Testament is most often the word Kurios. It shows up hundreds of times. And Kurios is a slavery word. Kurios is the word given to the master or owner of the slave.
     The other word we need to understand is the word doulos. That's the word used to describe a follower. The definition of this word isn't difficult. It is a word most accurately translated as slave. Really "slave" is the only way the word should be translated. That word appears about 130 times in the New Testament. For a number of different reasons that word is usually translated as "servant" in Scripture. But the most literal translation is "slave." That's without question the way readers would have heard it. But there is a huge difference. 

A servant works for someone; a slave is owned by someone.

With these words in mind, what I'm about to say seems like it should be pretty obvious but may come as a surprise to fans:

You can't call Jesus Lord without declaring yourself his slave....

Jesus invites you to deny yourself. He invites you to be a slave. But as a slave may I tell you about my master. My master will provide for you. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills; he can take care of your needs. My master will protect you. He speaks and even the wind and the waves obey him. My master has the power to forgive sins. If being a slave to sin has left you broken and bruised and you find your life is in pieces, my master can take the pieces of your life and turn them into a beautiful mosaic. If you are worn out and exhausted, my master gives rest to those who are weary and heavy burdened.

One more thing. When you become a slave to my master, he makes you his son. He makes you his daughter. He calls you friend.


~Kyle Idleman, Not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment